Monday, July 9, 2007

Just before I turned 12 years old my grandpa and grandma Elliott left to serve a mission in Canada. When my grandfather left he asked me to take care of the farm. In the heat of that summer, much like this year, it was necessary that all of the corn fields would get watered during your farms water turn. Some times the stream flows from the creeks were not too strong. As I was watering on a Thursday (our water turns started usually at 4am until 8am) it looked like all of the field would not be watered. I new I had promised my grandfather that I would take care of the farm, and I new the last eight rows would not get watered. They would be dead by our next water turn. I knelt down and prayed explaining my dilemma and asking for help. I got up from this prayer and open up the ditch to allow the water to enter the last eight rows; expecting, with all the faith of an eleven year old for the stream flow to increase. It didn't. I re-set the water on the rows that could be water and finished them. Then I set the water on the last rows of corn, just as I saw our neighbor drive his tractor over to the creek to change the ditch for his water turn. I hung my head and walked up Glover's lane, thinking I guess I don't have enough faith. As I got to the top of the lane our neighbor had stopped and waited for me and then said " Brent, I was on my way to take my water turn, but I decided that I should cut the hay in my field today. If you would like you could continue to use the water." It may be a simple miracle, but one that allowed a young eleven year old to realise two things. One our Heavenly Father is aware and does listen to us; and two that most miracles are accomplished through others that are listening and following the promptings that they receive.

3 comments:

Brandi said...

I feel like you have so many stories like this that I have never heard! I could just picture you doing this as a young boy. Keep writing these because it will help my children to learn these principals when the stories are about someone they know and love. Love you!

Meet the Elliott's said...

Very sweet story...as alway the Lord shows us in simple ways how muchh he loves us and watches over us. Thank you for sharing your story..

Lila said...

Wow Brent. It has been a little while since I checked your site and I have some catching up to do. What a sweet story. I have to admit that I am very impressed you are keeping up on your blog so well. I think it is wonderful and especially whe you share person and faith promoting stories like that one. Thank you.